- Company: Co-op Web Hosting
- Web Site: Co-opWebhosting.com
- Backend (MySQL or OpenLDAP): MySql
- Total Users: 3000+
- Comment:

这个老外描述了自己用开源软件搭建邮件系统的经历,并且描述了 iredmail 的价值。在此与大家分享。
原帖地址: http://www.iredmail.org/forum/topic335- … users.html

----
Mission timeline - 2 weeks to migration day of 250+ hosted web sites, re-DNS 1,000 domain names, several thousand email accounts seemlessly to clientele.
Final migration issue - deployment of a new email system

任务时间表:2个星期的时间,迁移 250+ 个托管的网站,重新注册、转移 1000 个域名,几千个邮件帐号。
迁移任务的最后一个问题是,部署一个新的邮件系统。

I spent a week working with each of these seperate email packages in a effort to make them work as a team. I tried literally dozens of "perfect this, how to do, and I did this and it worked" procedures posted on the net. All failed due to old versions, missing steps, "we will assume you already have this installed" ????. I kept seeing posts for iRedMail from China. A full email system ready to go in less than 2 minute. Yeah, Right, Sure... I have first hand experience with these packages. It must be some scam, no way can it be true.

我花了一个星期的时间,尝试使这些独立而分散的组件能够在一起工作。我也看了网络上一堆写着“非常完美,我尝试过这些,并且工作良好”的文档。但是最后不是因为软件太旧,步骤错漏,就是因为太多的“我架设你已经安装了XX”而失败了。我不断看到来自中国的 iRedMail 的帖子,一个可以在2分钟内部署成功的完善的邮件系统。哈,不错,确实(反语)...我对 iredmail 使用的组件也都有一定的经验,这是不可能的事情,一定是个骗局。

I decided the only way to get the solution I wanted was to do it myself. Each package was easy. 2 or 3 still ok. The more packages you bring in and the finer you tune, you start getting a massive whining bunch of idiots that will not cooperate. I completed a install for pop, imap, spam, virus, webmail, with manual admin. Ok, Better than what we have, not what I wanted or what my clients deserve. I want what iRedMail claims they provide. Week 1 is gone, not enough time and stressing. So whatever, I will try it. What can it do? Not work? kill the server? Made backup image and I did not know at that time iRedMail was intented for new OS installs and not for active production boxes especially custom setups so this turned out to be a valuable test that I should have thought about a little more before clicking install.

我意识到搭建一个满意的邮件系统的唯一方法只能是亲自搭建它。每个软件包都简单,2个或3个也还OK,但随着你引入的软件越来越多,你做的调整和优化越来越多,你就会开始抱怨很难将它们搭配在一起很好地工作。我花了足够多的时间实现了 POP3/IMAP,反垃圾,防病毒,webmail,并且可以手工管理。OK,这比我们当初的情况好多了,但这还不是我要的结果,也不是我的用户要的结果。我要的是 iRedMail 所宣称提供的那些功能了。到此,一个星期的时间过去了,时间不多了。怎么办?我想试试 iRedMail。它能做什么?无法正常工作?把服务器搞垮?我对服务器做了备份,但是我当时不知道 iRedMail 只能安装在全新的系统上,以为可以在现有的生产服务器上进行定制安装,于是我的安装成了一次还算有价值的测试,至少我学会了在开始安装前做点确认工作。

Data flashed by very fast, my heart sank and I told one of my techs I think I made a mistake and and we are about to have a server crash. Then it stopped and prompted for a couple entries. Amazing. Totally amazing. Incredible, Actually installed in less than 2 minutes.
Impossible. No way. I have spent days installing and following procedures and configs, and compiling. And in 2 minutes some free package does a complete installation ready to go? ran test account. I don't believe it. Its totally for real. A few little minor issues to resolve but who cares. It works and it works right and it was that easy.

数据很快被抹去了,我的心开始下沉。我告诉我的一个老师说我可能做了个错误的决定,而且它可能导致系统崩溃。然后 iRedMail 结束了安装,并提示我做了一些确认操作。太神奇了,真的太神奇了,不可思议,真的在2分钟内安装完了。

不太可能吧?我可是花了几天的时间编辑安装软件,按照文档进行配置的啊。而 iRedMail 在2分钟内就将这些自由软件安装配置好了,现在就可以使用了吗?我使用建立的帐号进行测试,不敢相信,这是真的。只有一些小的问题需要解决,但是谁还真的在乎这些芝麻绿豆的小问题。它可以使用了,正常工作,而且是如此容易安装。

I have great respect for IRedMail. They have done a fantastic package. Yes there will be little issues to resolve but so minor compared to the acomplishement they have done. Merging of many Open Source programs into one package that will produce a complete email system in minutes. This is huge, This could make some money. There is so much demand for even getting close to this. Why do they provide it as open source?  You need to understand what open source is about. Its about teamwork. People working together to produce something that is of real value. Software for years takes our money, many times so unfairly we feel burned as we have no choice. The open source community operates on passion, drive and the intensity of what they do and barely survive on donations and producing awesome results for free to the world. The combined efforts of many from beta testers to whiners of I can't get this to work and complainers of I want it to do this, and so on filter into the heads of a couple developers and produce awesome software packages and only ask for a donation if you feel such is worthy.

我很敬佩 iRedMail 项目,它是如此美妙的一套软件。不错,仍然有一些小问题需要我去解决,但是和它所完成的工作相比,这些小问题实在是太次要了。将这许多开源软件整合到一起,然后在短短几分钟内搭建出一套完善的邮件系统,这是个艰巨的任务,它完全可以值不少钱。也有很多相似的方案,但是为什么他们将这样的方案开源了?你需要明白开源的意义,团队协作(teamwork)。人们在一起努力实现某个有意义的目标。一直依赖,软件都是收费的,很多时候我们很痛苦但别无选择。开源社区以热情驱动,但却只靠着一点点的捐赠,以极大的力度,免费向世界提供相当棒的软件。

I tell you this. iRedMail deserves your donations whether you use there package or not. It is so important to the community of sys admins to end users and to maintain balances in power of commercial exploitation. If not for Open Source we would all be paying very heavily for any software we need and we would not have the luxury of requesting features, you would take what you get and pay what they want. I deal with a lot of open source and not all are worthy of support and when you come across a winner that is giving to everyone from the admin to the end user their hard work for free, you need to take a good look at youself and think about all of the software you have used and benefited from for free and stop for a minute and give something back to continue the flow. Donate a fraction of what you have saved. Just donate to help save in the future. Its just the right thing to do.

告诉你,iRedMail 绝对值得你为它捐赠,不管你用不用它。对于系统管理员或最终用户,以及那些还在商业方案中挣扎的的人来说,iRedMail 实在太重要了。如果没有开源软件,我们就必须大量地支付软件的费用,但还不一定能得到要求的功能,你只能得到他们给你的,但必须按他们的条款支付费用。我尝试过许多开源软件,不是所有项目都值得支持。但当你遇到一个免费将自己的辛勤劳动提供给从系统管理员到最终用户的个中佼佼者,想想那些你免费使用并因此得益的软件,你应该审视一下自己,应该做点什么来回馈这些项目,以使他们能继续下去。

iRedMail has earned its place in the open source community with honor and as an old wornout codehead I humbly thank them and offer my services and abilities to the team if needed, and right now I am off to make a small donation to them in the name of open source. This is one team that deserves it.

iRedMail 在开源社区赢得了自己的地位和荣誉,作为一个有些资历的项目领导,我诚挚地感谢他们,并且如果需要的话,我愿意为 iRedMail 团队提供我现有的服务。现在我将下线以开源的名义捐赠他们一笔小额费用,他们是个值得我这么做的团队。

Richard Steward
Co-op Web Hosting
----

--
Best Regards.

Zhang Huangbin

- Open Source Mail Server Solution for Red Hat(R) Enterprise Linux,
CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu: http://www.iredmail.org/

回复: 第62个成功案例:美国,加利福尼亚,3000+用户

他确实立刻就捐赠了。我在英文论坛的回帖里说已经收到捐赠。
至于具体数目就不透露了,多少都是个心意,感谢。

回复: 第62个成功案例:美国,加利福尼亚,3000+用户